Background 574

Saturday, 16 January 2010

Tesco and Hot Cross Buns


Checkers (at Tyndale House) are serious business around here...
Day number 3 (Thursday 1/14/10) . Today we decided to take a taxi and do a MAJOR shopping trip to Tesco, which is like Wal-Mart. The very first item I saw in the store was HOT CROSS BUNS (note lovely model on left ), just like the childrens song. Feeling very cultured, I bought 2 packs. We had such fun there-they even had an escalator on which you and your shopping cart could go up and down together to the second floor (in background of photo). I bought some yogurt in flavors--are you ready--NOT strawberry and strawberry-banana, but (and I am not kidding) gooseberry, blackcurrant, and rhubarb! But my favorite were the chip flavors in our variety pack: roast ham and mustard, flame grilled steak, and spicy thai chicken--outrageous! :)
The children are adjusting well to our new surroundings. We all keep saying to each other, "I can't believe we're in Cambridge!" Just like when Brad and I first got married, we often would comment, "Can you believe we're married?!" More than once I've thought of Zig Ziglar's quote about "wherever you go, there you are", meaning that we are still who we are, just in a different place. I guess we had so long anticipated and planned for being here that I somehow imagined everything to be different, including us...
Caleb verbalized his first impressions poignantly, "I like it." He also noticed right away that the steering wheels are on the opposite side in cars. Daniel first noticed the difference in the English accents, some of which are quite difficult to understand! And Victoria has noted how much more softly the English speak, both in conversation and when walking along the streets. It's been funny that we are having to intentionally lower our voices when we speak to each other, because normal talking tones for Americans are MUCH louder than normal talking tones for Brits.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I kept a running list of different "crisp" flavors. Our favorite was
shrimp coctail. The grocery cart wheels not only go from front to back
but also from side to side. People don't stay on their side of the aisle
like they do in the US. They are all over the place. I called Sainsbury
"Insainsbury" because it always felt like Christmas Eve there. Once in a
grocery store this lady told me that this certain product was "moreish".
I told her that I did not know what that meant. She said, "Well, it means you eat it and then you want some more". Have fun!