Before I get "officially" started on today's edition of "Cambridge Capers", I thought I might briefly address a couple of comments that have appeared on the blog. First of all, I am both blown away and blessed by those of you who are following our adventure...thank you for all your kind comments...which leads me to the fact that a couple folks mentioned they were having trouble leaving comments--I'm working on that from this end --see if it's getting any easier and please let me know. I hope to one day know how to respond to each person individually, but I haven't quite figured that out yet. Secondly, several have commented on the Spicy Thai Chicken chips. I regret to inform you that I misspoke. They are not SPICY Thai chicken flavored chips, but rather SWEET Thai Chicken flavored chips. Let me know if you still want me to send boxes your way. Also, we are 6 hours ahead of central time; in other words, 3pm Central Time is 9pm Cambridge Time. I hope the queries (as they call questions over here) are because someone would like to call--YEAH!! Our phone has rung once (it was today - yippee!) in our 10 days here, and it was a time of grand celebration, I can tell you!!
Anyway, back to our first weekend... we visited Eden Baptist Church and enjoyed it immensely. Something interesting we noticed...people don't often tell their name when they first meet you. During the "meet and greet" time at church, I was sitting next to a quite friendly chap, and sometime during the service realized I hadn't even gotten his name...no, because he didn't give it. I've since learned that that is very British, because sharing your name involves some level of intimacy, and it's not uncommon to have several conversations before learning someones name! Interesting, because the first thing we say to visitors in the States is, "Hi, I'm _______ welcome to our church..."
After chuch, we went on a tour of Cambridge, starting at the Round Chuch, which is, well, round. :) A couple of interesting historical notes: it was built in 1130 (!) by crusaders returning from the first crusade to Jerusalem. It is modeled after The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, which was built by the Roman Emperor Constantine and stands (in Jerusalem) directly over the site of the Resurrection. The street out in front of the church is a former Roman Road (no, not the one to Salvation :)), and inside the church there is a copy of the Canterbury Gospels, the oldest illustrated Bible manuscript in the world.
From there we ventured to many a college to see many a marvel. Among them were the statues seen in the next two pictures. I'd tell you all about them if I could remember. The best I can tell you is that every building in Cambridge is like looking at a Highlights (magazine for kids) Hidden Picture page. There are more statues and symbols and busts and names and figurines and historical meanings, messages, and mysteries etched on, in, and around every building that I lost count of who was whom by the time we got to, oh, the second building.
Anyway, back to our first weekend... we visited Eden Baptist Church and enjoyed it immensely. Something interesting we noticed...people don't often tell their name when they first meet you. During the "meet and greet" time at church, I was sitting next to a quite friendly chap, and sometime during the service realized I hadn't even gotten his name...no, because he didn't give it. I've since learned that that is very British, because sharing your name involves some level of intimacy, and it's not uncommon to have several conversations before learning someones name! Interesting, because the first thing we say to visitors in the States is, "Hi, I'm _______ welcome to our church..."
After chuch, we went on a tour of Cambridge, starting at the Round Chuch, which is, well, round. :) A couple of interesting historical notes: it was built in 1130 (!) by crusaders returning from the first crusade to Jerusalem. It is modeled after The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, which was built by the Roman Emperor Constantine and stands (in Jerusalem) directly over the site of the Resurrection. The street out in front of the church is a former Roman Road (no, not the one to Salvation :)), and inside the church there is a copy of the Canterbury Gospels, the oldest illustrated Bible manuscript in the world.
From there we ventured to many a college to see many a marvel. Among them were the statues seen in the next two pictures. I'd tell you all about them if I could remember. The best I can tell you is that every building in Cambridge is like looking at a Highlights (magazine for kids) Hidden Picture page. There are more statues and symbols and busts and names and figurines and historical meanings, messages, and mysteries etched on, in, and around every building that I lost count of who was whom by the time we got to, oh, the second building.
5 comments:
Hello my sweet friend. I have been meaning to get on here and finally did so. I have loved reading everything. Sounds like things are going well. Send me your phone number...i will give you a call so the kids can hear it ring. I would love to talk to you. Love you guys.
I loved your picture at Tesco...every little helps!!!
Dear Diane,
I can't tell you how much I look forward to your
blog. Every picture brings back such wonderful
memories for us. Did Julian Hardeman preach when
yall were at Eden? Did you drink tea out of those
little disposable cups after the church service?
Thank you for taking the time to blog for all of us
on the other side of the Pond! P.S. I love the way
the phone sounded in our flat. They would say,
"I'll give you a ring" not a call. Pat
The Hinton family just enjoyed catching up on the Greens. The kids favorite picture was Brad's kiss. We love you and can't wait to here what comes next!
Oh yay! I am leaving a comment on your blog! So excited. Today, Ashley and I took Katilyn and Hailey to BAM to spend their gift cards from Mrs. Wager. As the girls sat with their heads together and read, Ashley and I had fun girl time whilst :0 drinking coffee. Your family and blog was the highlight of our conversation!
Ashley stated that in every blog she hears your voice. I agreed Diane. This is great fun!
Enjoy your Sunday tomorrow, or today, whichever is the case.
Love to the family!
janet j
hi tori i miss you this is Hailey
Post a Comment