Another "oh dear, you must be Americans" story is the one involving hair clippers and a South America shaped bald spot on the side of my husband's head. You see, Brad cuts the boys and his hair with clippers, so we brought ours from home. Only thing is that there seemed to be some problem when we plugged them in. We very adeptly noticed this when they emitted this sound SO loud that it vibrated the windows and made Tori cry. So, a couple of days later, we decided it was REALLY time for all Green boys to get hair cuts, and figured that we must have misremembered how loud the noise was when we turned them on--surely we could put up with it long enough to do 3 buzz haircuts! So, we tried it again--I'm telling you, this time it was so loud the glasses were vibrating...so, Brad decided he'd just do it the old-fashioned way, with scissors and a razor blade. He started--and (thankfully) ended with-- himself...my own hairless headman, so to speak. :) UPDATE: we met some friends that have offered us their clippers, which were bought in the UK, so soon everyone should have nice, EVEN haircuts!
Background 574
Sunday, 24 January 2010
Our First Visitor and the Hairless Headman
So, it's time for the "Our First Visitor" story. You see, here in Britain they have this absolutely ingenious at-home delivery grocery service. The way it works is, you select your groceries online (Tesco.com, if anyone is interested), pay the equivalent of about $5.00 delivery charge plus what you buy, and the next day (or whenever you request), your groceries are delivered TO YOUR DOOR!! They will even unload them into the kitchen if you want! So, we were intrigued by this whole concept, and decided to give it a whirl. Oh, I had SO much fun clicking away on all these never-before-heard-of items whose pictures looked irresistible...anyway, we've always had lots of folks in and out of our home, but not knowing anyone, we haven't had anyone over the whole time we've been here. On the day of the scheduled delivery, all day long the kids were asking how much longer until the man from Tesco would arrive. Well, we were all so excited that someone was coming over, that we cleaned the entire flat, everyone took baths, and when he rang the doorbell, we all 5 opened the door, and there we stood in a semicircle with big smiles all welcoming the Tesco man to our home! It was quite a moment! He was very good-natured, quite amused, and assured us that he'd NEVER had a delivery like this one! So, here he is...our first visitor! HOORAY!!
BTW, many have asked about where we live...in this picture you can see a bit of our courtyard, and to the right, our persimmon tree (it's the one with 2 twig-type shoots coming out of the ground) that has ONE persimmon on it, and I (Dianne) have already claimed it! There's a gate, which you can make out behind us, which locks, and this enclosed courtyard is the location of many happy hours of soccer for the kids...
Anyway, here we are happily putting away our groceries--I debated about whether or not to include this photo--captures the moment, but looks like I'm pregnant...I'm not. You also get a peek at part of our kitchen...Tori is holding the digestive biscuits that she so loves and that I blogged about earlier, Caleb has the "washing up" liquid, and Daniel was just about to put away the single cream, which we hope is 1/2 and 1/2 for Brad's coffee. Our choices were: single cream, double cream, or whipping cream. Which would you have chosen? What a delightful experience this was! We are all looking forward to ordering groceries again!
Another "oh dear, you must be Americans" story is the one involving hair clippers and a South America shaped bald spot on the side of my husband's head. You see, Brad cuts the boys and his hair with clippers, so we brought ours from home. Only thing is that there seemed to be some problem when we plugged them in. We very adeptly noticed this when they emitted this sound SO loud that it vibrated the windows and made Tori cry. So, a couple of days later, we decided it was REALLY time for all Green boys to get hair cuts, and figured that we must have misremembered how loud the noise was when we turned them on--surely we could put up with it long enough to do 3 buzz haircuts! So, we tried it again--I'm telling you, this time it was so loud the glasses were vibrating...so, Brad decided he'd just do it the old-fashioned way, with scissors and a razor blade. He started--and (thankfully) ended with-- himself...my own hairless headman, so to speak. :) UPDATE: we met some friends that have offered us their clippers, which were bought in the UK, so soon everyone should have nice, EVEN haircuts!
Another "oh dear, you must be Americans" story is the one involving hair clippers and a South America shaped bald spot on the side of my husband's head. You see, Brad cuts the boys and his hair with clippers, so we brought ours from home. Only thing is that there seemed to be some problem when we plugged them in. We very adeptly noticed this when they emitted this sound SO loud that it vibrated the windows and made Tori cry. So, a couple of days later, we decided it was REALLY time for all Green boys to get hair cuts, and figured that we must have misremembered how loud the noise was when we turned them on--surely we could put up with it long enough to do 3 buzz haircuts! So, we tried it again--I'm telling you, this time it was so loud the glasses were vibrating...so, Brad decided he'd just do it the old-fashioned way, with scissors and a razor blade. He started--and (thankfully) ended with-- himself...my own hairless headman, so to speak. :) UPDATE: we met some friends that have offered us their clippers, which were bought in the UK, so soon everyone should have nice, EVEN haircuts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Move over "Julie and Julia". Diane, I think your blog will be made into a movie! I love reading your stories.
They are so funny :) I loved ordering groceries online
too. It seemed so civilized. And then to have them
delivered to your flat! The variety of dairy products in
Europe is unbelievable. Be sure and try Greek yogurt.
It is thicker. I ate cream on everything. That is where
all of your walking pays off. We took our hair clippers
too. We did use an adapter and did not have any
shaking glasses or furniture. I love England!
Diane,
These are the funniest stories I have ever read! What a hoot you Americans are. I wish I could be a fly on the wall in your flat.
Torrie,
Hailey and I just got home from Addy's 8th Birthday Party and oh girl, let me tell you...what a shindig! Of course Mrs. Diane was the one in charge and so that meant lots of yummy homemade treats and wonderful teas.
The party was at the Carriage House Antique Market Cafe. It was a Tea Party and every little 8 year old girl's dream of a perfect tea party complete with scones, cucumber sandwiches, a tea Pot Cake, and of course several teas. Each girl took home their own tea cup, hankie, tiara, and diamond ring. Not to mention that each girl brought her own favorite doll or stuffed animal and there were fun games! I thought of you today and so I grabbed my camera when we left home and I have posted MANY pictures for your pleasure on my Facebook page and perhaps your Mom could look through them with you. I am sure that you will recognize at least 6 faces. You were greatly missed.
Much love to you! I will get Hailey on here more but I think she is in a sugar coma from four straight days of celebrating with friends and family for one reason or another.
Much love to the whole family. Your family blog, Diane,is the highlight of my evenings!!
XOXOXOX
Janet
OK, who went to England to write a book, Brad or Dianne? Your blog is wonderful. The kids and I can't wait to see what you guys are up to next!!!
Not much exciting things to hear about in Oxford (Mississippi that is). Just Robbie encouraging the family that we don't need much for the next 5 months. His family motto the past two days is "We believe in storage!"
I seem to remember hearing that outlets in Europe are 220v instead of 110 in the U.S. You may need an adapter to use devices designed for 110, but I'm no expert!
Seth
Post a Comment