Meet Ranald Macauley, who is the director, of sorts, of the Round Church. We had the priviledge of spending part of one afternoon with him. He is married to the former Susan Schaeffer, Francis and Edith Schaeffer's daughter. (Francis Schaeffer was a famous American theologian, philosopher, and Presbyterian pastor.) I love the next photo...here's a man who's a "big deal" to many people, yet he intentionally took a special interest in the kids. When he found out Tori's name was Victoria, he immediatly took her hand and gently led her to this place in the Round Church where Queen Victoria (yes, THE Queen Victoria) had placed the stone (one with her initials, "VR"--can you see it?). He told her all about it, right at her eye level...precious...
DNA extensively. When we went to the Cavendish Laboratory, I was surprised at how moved I was. These two men who made a discovery that literally changed so much of how life and medicine is understood and studied today, did it right here...One note of interest, even with this discovery, Crick was an atheist until the day he died, and, according to the tour guide (who was a Christian), Watson is still alive but is an atheist as well...unbelievable...talk about some serious denial these men had going on! (I'm reading a book now, in fact, that mentions these two men and their discovery, called, "I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist--a good read--excellent, in fact-- on apologetics.)
So, this shot just proves you can see just about anything on the streets of Cambridge. A couple of things to note: bicycles, streets made of brick, the old, the new, people WALKING (note dark colors of their clothing), posters on fence (no billboards). In particular: The moving astronaut/aluminum foil man, who called himself "The Sonic Manipulator" is one whom we have seen on two different occasions. He is doing some sort of rhythmic-rap-rhyme-jive-thing into a voice modulator of sorts that makes you want to run and scream, not necessarily in that order. Another interesting historical note...there is a small trough between the bricks of the street and the curb? Do you see it? Any ideas what it is? You history buffs, (Robbie Hinton), any ideas? It used to be a watering trough for the horses before the days of cars, with fresh water running thru the entire city...interesting, eh?
Well, that about wraps it up here in Cambridgeshire for now...until next time...
Cheerio, Dianne
P.S. Victoria is standing next to.........FRANCIS BACON......did you get it right?
6 comments:
So FUUUUUN!!! Love the history going on there with the fam :) What an opportunity! Will you guys please pray for one of our Pastor's Randy Pierson's son? His name is Gordon..hes the son that contracted polio from childhood vaccinations...he was just airlifted to Vandy from Jackson. Kidneys infected and body is shutting down :(. Also for his big Sis Lindsay who is actuall in the UK touring with a ballet/dance/music company. She is a mess being so far from home. Wish she could meet up with you guys. Love you and thanks!
Jen--I got your note about Gordon on my way to a prayer group--these ladies over here can flat pray! We covered him and his family with prayer, and will continue to do so...please keep up posted (no pun intended :)) Oh! And where is Lindsay? We would love for her to come hang out and be able to love on her at this time...
BTW, could you please send me your email--I would LOVE some help with the blog, oh great blogging one.
Just catching up tonight. It's waaay past my bedtime, but I watched the State of the Union address and THEN started playing on the computer. I was going to read just one post, but you keep writing such fun stuff!
Francis Schaeffer's son-in-law - that's so neat!
You are going to have more memories than you can shake a persimmon-tree branch at!
P.S. My mom loves your blog, although she would never post a comment.
And I have to add ...
In my previous comment, every paragraph (except the P.S.) ends with an exclamation point!
That's what your blog does to me! It makes me comment with excited glee!
Write more!
Take more pictures!
I'm going to bed now!
Thanks for the history lesson, I can't wait to show Robbie and see if he gets the watering hole! My students love reading about you guys!! Thank you!
Hi Dianne,
I loved reading your notes and seeing your photographs. We miss all of you and are praying for you. Enjoying a nice cold, icy day here in Jackson--no school.
Blessings,
Brandon
Post a Comment