The absolute funniest thing happened today at the laundry mat for our flat (as they call our apartment). The kids and I had ventured over to begin our weekly washing routine. Little did we know what lay before us. We had already been told that there are no dryers, so we had already located the drying racks in the apartment, and made our strategy for carrying home all the wet laundry to dry all over the flat. So, we loaded our clothes in 2 of the machines (photo courtesy of Brad Green), but I could not find a place to put in the detergent. "They must just sprinkle it on top," I thought. So we did that, then began loading two other washing machines. After a few minutes, Caleb said, "Mom, when does the water start?" I looked at the 2 already rotating machines we had loaded with all our dirty clothes and the dry detergent and figured maybe over here it just takes a while for the water to kick on...After ALL 4 machines were loaded with detergent, dirty clothes, and lots of money, Caleb asked the all important question, "Mom, the water still hasn't started. Could these be dryers?" Obviously not, I thought...and then...no place for detergent...no water...gasp...oh no...yes, you guessed it. We had just loaded everything to be washed into their 4 new DRYERS!! O dear. You can only imagine what the next few minutes entailed...needless to say, our clothes are now very clean (you know, with detergent in both the real washing machines and, thanks to us, in the dryers as well) and put away until next week...
The best part of the day was our family game night. We played spoons (even though the picture looks like we're playing WITH spoons, we actually played the game, "Spoons." :)) and Go Fish, and had loads (not to be confused with our loads of laundry) of fun!! We are enjoying family time and are so thankful for the opportunity to be here. Culture note: For snacks during our famiy game night we ate--get ready--something called," digestive
biscuits"--I'm not making this up--Tori loves them. They are actually
cookies (biscuits) half-covered with milk chocolate, and I'm not sure what the "digestive" part is all about. Some things are better left unanswered. :)
4 comments:
Dianne,
So happy to know you are blogging your way through your Cambridge caper! (And of course you will continue blogging when you get back. RIGHT?) Your personality shines through in every word, and, as usual, you make me laugh hard. I can also hear you laughing with delight at some of the adventures you've already had in such a short time.
As for those adventures, you may or may not remember the time we were out of dishwasher soap at the apartment in Jonesboro, and I improvised. Of course you can guess what I used as a substitute. I learned what many people already knew (and the laundry detergent label no doubt cautioned); think Bobby Brady and the clothes washer. Your laundry caper brought my dishwasher episode to mind, and I had to giggle.
Please tell me (so I don't have to look it up): What time is it there?
On a culinary note: You must bring me back some spicy tai chicken chips, but I think I'll pass (no pun intended) on the digestive biscuits.
Cheerio,
Suzy O
I love it! Thank you for blogging, we feel like we are right there with you guys.
On a culinary note: maybe you will be the next Julia Child from England. You MUST share some of your recipes.
You will all will treasure these memories forever!! Enjoy and we love you.
AMH
OHHHHH YAYAYYAYAYAY!!! I'm so PROUD of you Diane :) WAY TO GO SISTER!!! This blog is FANTASTIC and we dont care about the layout...we want to hear and SEE you! The pic at the top of our blog is just an option for the layout I picked! If you want me to work on yours (not that you need it) just email me your login and password!Oh, this is so fun and congrats on your homeschooling journey! Isnt it FUN to do the day together and most of all accomplish family time and character training (well sometimes that is NOT fun hahahah). Love you guys! We will be your biggest blog fans!
Suzy, you are my guinea pig on my leaving comments to comments posted on the blog. I think I've covered previously most of your queries except the part about blogging when I get back...well, I left that open as a possibility by naming the blog cambridgecapersANDBEYOND, so we'll see...I'm having a lot of fun doing it...
Post a Comment