Background 574

Monday, 12 April 2010

Fred and Elizabeth Catherwood - One Delightful Couple!


So, one week as we entered our church looking for seats, I noticed five seats on the second row next to this elderly couple, and, because I love grandmother/grandfatherly types, quickly led our family to sit next to this couple.  Turns out they were a complete delight, reminded me of my mom and dad, and it was Fred's (folks all go--no matter what their age--by their FIRST name here) 85th birthday that day.  After a couple of weeks of sitting next to our new-found friends, they invited us to their home for dinner.  We were all excited, as these were the first grandparent-like friends we had met. 

So, after we arrived and pleasantries were exchanged, Elizabeth invited us to, "have a look about the place" while she finished in the kitchen.  This is when it all began.  First I noticed this photograph in a prominent place that obviously was of special significance.  It was of a lovely English countryside estate (think enormous out-of-a-movie mansion with gardens).  She explained that was where they used to live and loved entertaining and was so sorry they were not still there so the children could go upstairs and play to their hearts content.  I had a very brief thought, "Who are these people?"

Then I noticed a regal green robe hanging elegantly in a corner near the entrance, and asked about it.  Elizabeth said, with a merry laugh, that Fred wore that when he was KNIGHTED by Queen Elizabeth--WHAT?!?!?!  So, they are Sir Fred and Lady Elizabeth!  Who ARE these people?

Next room was Fred's study.  I noticed framed pictures on the wall of Fred with all these world leaders.  Dare I even ask about these?  Fred explained that these were taken when he was VICE PRESIDENT OF THE EUROPEAN (not English) PARLIAMENT.  That's the comparable position to the Joe Biden of Europe, only I (obviously) had never heard of him.  OK, at this point, I'm seriously thinking, "WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?!" 

So, I went into the kitchen to help Elizabeth, and she told stories about  C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien, both of whom she knew, and had hand-written letters from Lewis to her son when her son was a boy.  As we were talking (actually, she was talking--I was stupefied into complete speechlessness), the conversation turned to American versus English customs, and we were talking about when girls get married whether or not they keep their maiden names.  She explained that with such a multisyllabic name like "Elizabeth Lloyd-Jones Catherwood", that it was an easy decision to drop her maiden name.   Catching her middle name--Lloyd-Jones--I commented that it reminded me of D. Martin Lloyd-Jones, who was one of the finest preachers of the 20th century.  She smiled and said, "He was my father." 
WOW.  DOUBLE WOW.


Our conversation that evening was much different that I ever imagined it would be. 
Invigorating.  Inspiring.  Humbling.



An evening I'll never forget...ever...:)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! What a blessing. You don't run into
that in the U.S. !!!!

bgreen said...

It was indeed a blessing!

Ann-Maura said...

Hi Greens I hope you are doing well. I cant believe they were friends with J.R.R Tolkien because I read some of those books so I would of loved to have met them.


from,
Marianna c Hinton