Background 574

Monday, 8 March 2010

St. Peter's Church, Anglesey Abbey

St. Peter's Church...charming...quaint...country.  In fact, it's very similar to the Alamo, in that the city has grown up all around it, but here it remains, basically untouched from pre-Reformation days. We discovered St. Peter's one day when we were a bit early for a Friday lunchtime concert at Kettles Yard.  This church is literally in their backyard.  The kids and I heeded the call to explore! 

Note the prominent font, commonly seen in early churches.  Wondering why the decorations are so modest?  Glad you asked.  On December 30, 1643, William Dawsing, the notorius "visitor of churches" whose job was to remove all signs of popery from parish churches, visited St. Peter's.  He held a big bonfire in the churchyard, and burned all holy pictures, altar railings, and anything else reminiscent of the Pope or the Catholic Church.


Look carefully at this stone on the floor of St. Peter's and you will see etched into the stone itself a figure of an apostle, or perhaps a child, which was originally inlaid in brass.  There are many of these stone etchings around in churches/cathedrals, but only a very few of them still have the brass inlay.  Most of the brass was removed and melted down for bullets during war time.


Changing gears a bit, one wintry day several of us went to Anglesey Abbey, an immense estate with The National Trust here in England, that has tours each February of their over 200 varieties of snowdrops (shown above).  This is variety number 149.  Oh my.  Were we in over our heads!  We must have been the only non-professional horticulturists in the bunch.  I mean, the questions the others on the tour asked contained words I'd never even heard of before!! (How I wished my dad had been there...he would have LOVED it!! As would you, Mrs. Jenkins. :))  So, I now feel quite educated about snowdrops.  You have questions?  I have answers. :)



Dramatic.  These silver birches in the garden reminded us of those found in Alaska, only these are WASHED every week to enhance their ultra-white color.  Anyone out there wash THEIR tress?


And, what ARE these people looking at?  Our newest "blue coat" convert, Marion Jongkind, has six children, and is a sweet friend of mine here.  She reminds me of another sweet friend I have with six children...enter Lady Van Neste. :)  Note to future Cambridge visitors:  children do not find snowdrop tours enthralling...:)


As we were leaving, Caleb captured this photo of snowdrops (beneath tree).  An interesting cultural note here:  Trees are not for climbing in England, as a general rule.  Nowhere we have been have the children been allowed to climb them.  It's really a shame because there are some GRAND old trees that would be PERFECT...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Diane,
I just love seeing the snowdrops and Marion
Jongkind--two of my favorite things/people
in England! The kids and I also went on a
snowdrop tour at Angelsy Abby. We had a
number of kids with us from Tyndale House
folk. As Marion and I were rambling on at a
slightly slower pace than everyone else was,
our children ran on ahead to some Mill House.
I was a bit nervous because they were younger
then and I had no idea where they were going
or what they were doing. Now that you
mention it, my kids were not nearly as
interested in the snowdrops as those
lovely trees. Oh, how they called out to
them, "Cllimb Me". And climb them they
did until a very nice National Trust lady
informed them that they were most
definately not allowed to climb the trees!
What a pity. Now that the weather is getting
nicer (I think the Brits love weather as much a
I do) you will want to check out having tea
in The Orchard in Grantchester. Pick a pretty
spring day. The two mile walk through the
countryside will help you not feel guilty when
you eat a scone and clotted cream!
Happy Day, Pat