Take for instance Newnham Bakery, a small, neighborhood, family-owned bakery just a 5-minute walk from Tyndale House, where Brad is studying. My favorites are the chocolate croissants, but there are these flaky cinnamon butterfly-shaped creations that come in a close second. We try to frequent their shop often! Then there's Fitzbillies Bakery, which was listed as #9 in the most recent copy of the Cambridge City Guide of the Top 10 things you absolutely must do in Cambridge. Their "Chelsea Buns" in particular are what made the list, and let me tell you, they are SOME KIND of scrumptious!! They are a bit like dense and very sticky cinnamon rolls...Y-U-M-M-Y!!
The kiddos newest hot spot is called Mr. Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe, and they have almost 800 different kinds of candies and confections. I have never in my life seen anything like it--they have two stories of cannisters with any kind of candy, chocolate, gum, you name it, on the planet. It's a wonderful place to have discovered BEFORE Valentine's Day. :)
So, there you have it...a wrap-up of our favorite sweet spots and candy shops...I'm just thankful I have an excuse to NEED to go to at least one of these places before Feb 14th!
3 comments:
Oh, I LOVE all of the bakeries. They are so
civilized and quaint and yummy. Since we lived
at Tyndale House, we frequented the Newnham
Bakery quite often. The chocolate croiisants were my favorite too. I would also send Joshua on
his bike to get me bread from there. Those buns
at Fitzbillies are incredible. One time we invited
a couple over to our flat for supper and they
brought us a box of 4 buns from Fitzbillies. WOW!
Does Fitzbillies still have a restaurant next door
to the bakery? George and I ate there one time
it was a really big treat because we rarely were
without the kids and because it was pretty
pricey. Also, we were there for Valentines. Our
flat neighbors said they would keep Joshua and
Anna for us to go out on a date. We left around
5:30 and decided to go walking and shopping in
the city "centre" and then eat. It was Friday night
I think. Well, as you may have found out every-
thing closes at 6:00 in Cambridge and all of the
eating places that were nice all were filled with
people who had reservations. We ended up at
the Garden Hotel (which is a very nice hotel)
and ate dessert in a secluded part of the lobby.
George was really bumed but I still have a
nice memory of it all. The moral is , if you and
Brad want to go out on Valentine's Day, make
a reservation!
I just realized I misspelled "bummed". I am a
home educator and I do know you are supposed
to double the consonant when adding an ending
to a short vowel word. I could not let this go by without correcting it :) Have a nice day!
Dianne, I just sat down and caught up on your blog. I LOVE your writing style and have laughed out loud at some of your adventures. I feel like I'm there with you! Can't wait to read...the rest of the story...as the months go by! God bless from the Miltons.
Post a Comment