Background 574

Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Museums...


This, ladies and gentlemen, is the Fitzwilliam Museum.  It is a grand museum here in Cambridge, one of eight associated with the University of Cambridge. It is one of the favored ones among children because it houses many full suits of armor from centuries past, complete with shields, swords, and all kinds of knight-like items.  This, and an extensive mummy collection from Ancient Egypt, easily won "Best of the Best" in our family.  Winning "Best Conversation Starter", however, was the exhibit entitled, "Treasure of the Month".  So, here we are in this renowned art museum which houses collections of works of art and antiquities spanning centuries and civilizations, and the treasure of the month was...are you ready?...I am not making this up..."Seven Glass SNUFF Bottles"---I was ROARING ....  I mean, we have the likes of King Tut's mummy over to my left, and gallant shining coats of armor to my right, and the treasure of the month... snuff bottles?!?!  I had not envisioned an explanation of snuff being part of our curriculum that day.   They wouldn't let me take a picture.  How I wanted to.  It was a moment. :)

This is just outside the Fitzwilliam Museum.  It gives a little better peek at what was once the watering trough for horses (the gutter-looking thing between the street and sidewalk) which ran thru the city.  In some parts of the city it has been partially covered with grates and things, but here it is as it was, I've been told, except now it has goo instead of running water in it.

Another one of our favorite museums has been the Cambridge Folk Museum, which is housed in a former 16th century inn and tells the story of local life and folklore in Cambridge and the surrounding area.  The two top finds in this museum were ingenious contraptions for trapping flies and beetles (ask us about these--I want one!),


 and a bonnet for horses that was actually worn to keep the sun off them!  (Notice holes for ears. :))



  Plus, the kids had fun bringing some rather "official" costumes up to date in the 21st century.



This just in:  we have had THREE different ENGLISH people stop us and ask for directions!!  This is the compliment of compliments.  Really?  We look like we know what we're doing?  Progress...yes...

Today's funniest sighting:  So, there was this car driving up and down our street looking for a place to park.  The driver couldn't find anything, as there were these giant interlocking pylons blocking off an area so they can bob/prune the trees, so, and I watched him do this, he got out of the car, MOVED THE PYLONS TO ANOTHER AREA, and parked his car right smack dab in the middle of  "no-no" zone.  Well, thought I, that's one way to do it.  I was laughing...and taking notes. :)

Stay tuned for more museum musings, plus the winning flavor from a contest held for a new flavor of potato chip.  You won't believe it.

5 comments:

Will and Vanessa said...

Wow- it appears that you were up late posting this (unless it is on central time).

Can you believe we still haven't been to the Fitzwilliam museum? I guess it is one of those things you do when visitors come. Soon, soon....

Unknown said...

Okay friend...I played around with this a bit! Its a little busy compared to what you had so please tell me if you like it better with the navy background and I can change it back in a snap! There are literally thousands of backgrounds, colors, designs, prints etc to pick from out there in blogville...but I stuck to the famouse blue and red coat theme!!! Also let me know if the time on the clock is right? If you think of anything else you want to add..weather, books you are reading whatever just say the word!

Unknown said...

oh and also...I was going to add a site meter on here that you can click on to see the traffic, where your visitors are from and all that fun stat stuff!

Unknown said...

The Fitzwilliam is great. We especially loved the
illuminated writings that were on display in that cozy little room. The kids loved the gift shop and George and I loved the cafe--best cup of Darjeeling in town!!! Check about free music concerts on Sundayafternoons. You can go after you eat your ostrich burgers :) I saw those trough-like things in the streets but did not know about their original uses. It is truly a compliment to your Britishness if you get asked directions. Just don't say, "yall" when talking to them :) Have you seen those mechanical pylons that come up out of the road to
block traffic? They are pretty ingenious. Hope yall
have a great weekend. I liked to buy daffodills at
the Market. There were also vendors that came
to the Market on the weekends that were not
there during the week days. That is a good time
to buy dishes and little treasures. Hope you have a
good weekend.

Damocles Chrysostom said...

I believe that the glass snuff bottle collection would be very popular in West Tennessee. I love seeing the photographs that you include. Melissa and I recently read Hardy's Jude the Obscure. I know, I know, it is set around Oxford but the scenes have come alive as I've seen the buildings and architecture in your photographs and Caleb's postcards. Thanks!
Brandon